Monday, July 9, 2007

New firmware and GPS

I've now tested the new firmware (12.0.0.013) for a couple of days. I've always said that having a phone with integrated GPS is great but I've also criticized how slow the GPS acquired satelite lock. The new firmware with Assisted GPS support is a huge improvement.
I have been testing the GPS quite a lot during the last two days. Lock to satelites is acquired very quickly, even inside a car. When starting the Maps while driving a car, it takes on average less than 30 seconds to lock to satellites. In similar conditions with the previous firmware version it usually took more than 10 minutes. What an improvement! No more critisism about long waiting times before the GPS is operational.
Before the firmware was officialy released there were rumors that it would also include a new version of Maps application. The version of new Maps is not included in this FW update. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for the new Maps.

No comments: